Last Updated On: 08/05/2004
Windows NT Service Pack
What's New in Service Pack 4
New Service Pack 4 updates and features include the following:
- Year 2000 updates. Service Pack 4 contains updates for known year 2000 issues in Windows NT 4.0.
- Support for the Windows 2000 version of NTFS. Service Pack 4 contains an updated version of the NTFS file system that Windows 2000 uses. This allows you to install Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 on the same computer.
- Security Configuration Manager (SCM). Service Pack 4 provides support for this Microsoft Management Console-based utility that allows you to use a single tool to configure security settings, including password policy, audit policy, and user rights.
- User profile quotas. Service Pack 4 gives you the ability to limit the size of users' profiles.
- Networking enhancements. Service Pack 4 contains updates for a variety of Windows NT networking protocols and services, including Windows Internet Name Service (WINS), Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), Windows Telephony Services (TAPI), Routing and Remote Access Service (RRAS), and Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP).
- Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack updates. These updates are Fixes and enhancements for Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack components that are installed on your computer.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01, with Service Pack 1. Service Pack 4 includes the latest release of Internet Explorer, which provides fixes for year 2000 issues.
Performing Preinstallation Tasks
Before you install Service Pack 4, you should perform preinstallation tasks that will help ensure a successful installation. Performing preinstallation tasks will ensure that Windows NT and its services will run normally after Service Pack 4 is installed, and that you can uninstall the service pack if necessary and return the computer to its previous state. Good preparation includes a rollback plan, which includes updating the Emergency Repair Disk (ERD) and making a backup of the system files and the registry.
Before you begin the preparation, read the Service Pack 4 release notes, which contains instructions for installing the service pack and important information about the service pack.