Windows Support Menu
Windows Internet Explorer
Installing Internet Explorer 4.0
This document provides important information to assist you with installing Internet Explorer 4.0
on your computer system. The procedure and information in this document provides you with an
installation that can be updated.
WARNING: The installation program must complete without interruption. Interrupting or
prematurely cancelling the program can corrupt or disable your computer's Operating System.
Changes to the IE 4.0 setup should be made (using the Add/Remove Programs feature) after the
installation is complete.|
Note: Microsoft Network (MSN) 2.51 is included on the CD-ROM. MSN 2.51 will not install
on the Microsoft Windows NT® operating system.
Installing IE 4.0
Ensure that your system is on and that your operating system is running: then do the following
to install IE 4.0.
- Close any open applications, and insert the IE 4.0 CD into your CD-ROM drive.
If your system has the Autorun feature, an IE 4.0 menu appears.
- Click the install icon
- click Next. The Microsoft license appears.
If your system does not have the Autorun feature:
- Click the Start button, point to Settings, and click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
- Click Install and then Next.
The computer searches for the IE 4.0 installation program on the CD. The drive letter of your
CD-ROM and the name of the IE 4.0 installation file appear (for example, (d:\setup.exe).
The CD-ROM drive letter may vary, but the program name is the same.
Click Browse to locate the program if necessary.
- Click Finish to begin the installation process.
- Read the Agreement, click Accept to accept the terms of the Agreement, and click Next to
- To receive future updates and information from Dell, the following selections must be made:
- Select Full for the installation option, and Click Next.
- Click Yes for the Desktop Update selection, and click Next.
- Select the desired language/country, and click Next.
The default installation path for IE 4.0 is C:\program files\Internet Explorer. Using this
default setting is suggested if technical support is ever required.
- Click Next to continue
- When prompted to confirm that the installation process is complete, click OK to confirm.
This may take a few minutes to complete depending on your systems configuration.
Your computer restarts and begins the final configuration process, which completes the IE 4.0 installation process.