Windows 9X Setup
Installing the Intel PIIX 4 and Universal Serial Bus drivers
As new hardware technologies are developed and new software is developed to take advantage of these advances, operating systems such as Windows 95 may lag slightly behind in the integration of the drivers and utilities for these new devices. When this occurs it is necessary to install these drivers and utilities separate of the operating system. Such is the case with Intelís new PIIX4 controller and the Universal Serial Bus.
The following text and graphics will assist you in the installation of the drivers for these new devices. The installation of the drivers for these 2 devices need to be installed in a specific order in order to function properly. The Universal Serial Bus is controlled by the PIIX 4 controller so the PIIX4 driver will have to be installed first.
To install the PIIX4 driver disk please follow the instructions listed below:
- Allow the system to boot normally into Windows 95.
- Insert the disk labeled "Intel Support Driver diskette" into Drive A.
- Click on the Start button and then click run. A dialog box should appear similar to the dialog box shown in Figure 1.
- Type A:\setup.exe and click the "OK" button. You should now see the screen shown in Figure 2.
Once it completes preparing the install shield wizard the screen will appear as shown in Figure 3.
- Click on the "Next" Button. You should now see the screen shown in Figure 4.
- Read the document and when completed please close the file by clicking on the "X" in the top left corner of the document to continue. You should then see the screen shown in Figure 5.
- Click on the "Yes" button. You should now see the screen shown in Figure 6.
- Click on the "Next" button to continue. The screen shown in Figure 7 will flash briefly on your screen followed by the screen shown in Figure 8.
- Remove the disk from Drive A and click on the "OK" button. The system will restart Windows 95. During the restart Windows 95 will detect numerous new devices and install drivers automatically. This part will not require any user intervention. After finding these devices you will finally stop at the screen shown in Figure 9. Reinsert the disk into Drive A and click on the "Next" button. You should then see the screen shown in Figure 10.
- Click on the "Finish" button to complete the install of the PIIX4 drivers. During this part Windows 95 will detect and install drivers for several new devices. After several of the devices you will be prompted to restart the system. Click on "Yes" each time the dialog box appears and when finished your Windows should stop normally at the Windows desktop.
This completes the installation of the Piix4 drivers.
The following steps will assist you in installing the device drivers needed to support the Universal Serial Bus
- Insert the Windows 95 cd in the drive.
- Click on the Start button and choose "Run" from the menu. You should now see the screen shown in Figure 11.
- Type in X:\other\usb\usbsupp, replacing the X with the drive letter of your cd rom. You should then see the screen shown in Figure 12.
- Click on "Yes" you should now see the screen shown in Figure 13.
- When you have read the agreement click on the "Yes" button. You should now see the screen shown in figure 14.
After completing the scandisk the screens shown in figure 15 and 16 will flash briefly before the screen shown in Figure 17 appears.
- Close out any applications you may have started and click on the "OK" button. The system should restart.
This completes the installation of the Universal Serial Bus.
You will now need to repeat steps 1 through 10 to reinstall the PIIX4 files and update any files that had been removed by the USB installation.